Monday, January 27, 2014

make it monday

welcome to another make it monday!!

I haven't been sewing much lately, so I've only made a few things in the past couple of weeks. I need to get on that because I have a craft show in 2 weeks!

I try to bring reusable cups to work with me everyday because I get free coffee all day long! Sometimes I will have 3 different drinks. Imagine if I used a disposable cup for every drink, three times a day, four days a week. That's 12 cups a week I would be tossing in the garbage. In a year, I would throw away 624 cups!!! That is for just one person!

Reuseit is a really cool website that sells all different kinds of reusable items. They posted this infographic one day and I thought it was super cool.

waste-free coffee and tea guide

I love having hot coffee at home, but at work it's easier and faster to make something cold. It also tastes better than a hot beverage after it's been sitting for a couple of hours! But when it's really cold outside, I need something warm for the drive home. Instead of bringing two different cups with me, I started using a mason jar with a Cuppow! This way I can enjoy a hot or cold beverage in the same cup, plus it's so much easier to clean glass than plastic when you don't have a dishwasher at home!

My jar was working perfectly until that freezing cold day when I needed something hot for my long drive home. That glass gets hot! I needed to make a cozy! 

I picked out some of my favorite fabric and cut two pieces 12.5 x 3.5 inches. I used one piece of fusible fleece for insulation. I fused the fleece onto one piece of fabric. Then I sewed the fabric pieces right sides together, leaving an opening so I could turn it right side out. After turning it right side out, I ironed it flat, making sure the opening was tucked in straight. Then I topstitched all the way around the cozy. Next I checked the sizing around my mason jar to measure where the velcro should be placed. I have a wide mouth 16oz jar. It fit perfectly around mine, so I just had to sew the velcro pieces on the ends. I didn't have to measure much thankfully! And this is how it turned out!



I'm really happy with it and I can't wait to make a bunch in my favorite fabrics! Now I just need to get some Cuppow lids in other colors. Clear is kinda boring, don't you think?



1 comment: